Breakwater Books publishes Canadian literary fiction and non-fiction, commercial fiction and non-fiction, poetry, drama, art and photography, cookbooks, and children’s books. Our mandate is to publish the stories and authors of Newfoundland and Labrador, but we’re also interested in books by authors from across the country. Please have a look at our website to ensure that your submission complements recent work published by Breakwater.
Breakwater Books is committed to representing equity-seeking communities and strongly encourages submissions from Black writers, Indigenous writers, and writers of colour, from Deaf artists and those with disabilities, as well as authors from underrepresented regions and communities.
Breakwater publishes on average four books of fiction each year. We focus on literary fiction, but sometimes publish compelling crime and suspense thrillers, as well as novels for young adults. We do not publish science fiction or fantasy.
Generally, we publish four non-fiction titles each year. Breakwater’s non-fiction focuses primarily, though not exclusively, on the people and history of Newfoundland and Labrador. While the historical work we choose relies on meticulous research, we’re looking for writing that has a sense of style.
Our contemporary poetry titles usually come from authors who have published extensively in established literary journals and magazines.
Our drama titles are usually only those that have already been produced and staged by a professional theatre company. We rarely publish scripts that have not been produced.
Though we receive hundreds of children’s book submissions, Breakwater publishes approximately three children’s titles each year.
Send us your best words and we’ll be happy to read them!
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please mail your submission to the address below and include the following:
- ✓ a cover letter detailing the genre, subject matter, intended audience, and total word count (except for poetry and children’s books)
- ✓ a biographical statement that outlines your writing experience, credentials, and awards or award nominations (if applicable) and provides your contact information
- ✓ a one-page synopsis of the work
- ✓ a 20- to 30-page sample (unless it’s a children’s book, in which you may wish to send the full manuscript)
- ✓ a stamped self-addressed postcard, if you would like confirmation that we’ve received your manuscript
- ✓ a self-addressed, stamped envelope (not a manila envelope, just the kind you’d use to send a short letter), so that we can write to you when we’ve reviewed your manuscript
IMPORTANT NOTESBreakwater Books will not respond to any submission that does not include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
We do not consider or respond to unsolicited email submissions.
We don’t offer editorial feedback unless we are seriously considering publishing your work.
All manuscript submissions should be mailed to this address:
BREAKWATER MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSIONS
P.O. Box 2188
St. John’s, NL